Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Two Months Later....?

Can. Not. BELIEVE it has been almost two months since I posted.  Life has certainly been in fast-forward the past few weeks.  I have a LOT on my mind but the most consuming right now is the fact that:



As a Certified Medical Assistant I see a lot of the emotions that are being released once the doctor leaves the room and I return back in to close out the office visit.  It breaks my heart when I know I have to go back in there after I know something awful was just said to my friends.  MY FRIENDS.... MY FAMILY! These people become SO close to us because they are so closely monitored.  We talk to them and see them almost every week because of lab work-- we KNOW these people and they know us!

I don't know. Lately, I feel like "Our Practice" is so sad.  Maybe it's just my emotions catching up with me after this chaotic year and I am more sensitive and empathetic than I normally am,... but I truly just want to create a miracle for each and every family.  I don't have the education to help these people more than I currently am.  I know I am giving them all, but I want to give them SO much more! I feel like the patients are getting younger and younger-- or maybe I am just getting older and older???!

Please understand friends, that Cancer is not always 'sad.'   There are WONDERFUL and therapeutic days when I am working and for those, I am thankful.  I want to take the energy I get on those days and carry it through the hard days. I LOVE my career and just pray for myself, and my PATIENTS/FAMILIES can get through these battles faced with each day.  I hope that you pray for them as well.  Please take a moment; stop reading this and pray.  NOW.  Please pray that the physicians use their knowledge and expertise the best way they know how and are capable of.  Pray for all of my co-workers in the department;  for the stressful and plentiful phone calls coming through the gals at the front desk, to the nurses giving the medications and radiation to our sweet, sweet patients. For the co-worker sitting in her office fighting for the rights of the patient to get their CT scan covered by their insurance company because the insurance company doesn't think it's necessary.  For the pharmacy tech mixing and measuring the precise amounts of chemotherapy to get it at the correct formula for the patient's diagnosis.  For the phlebotomist drawing the lab-- that they do it with accuracy and have no contamination to the site.  To the radiologist reading the scans and making sure they identify all the necessary organs and answer all questions with accuracy.   

The amount of patients and their families I have met are uncountable in my measely nine years of employment at The Clinic, but the impact THEY have made on my heart and mind forever, overwhelms me. 

The patients trust US to care for them.  What a privilege.  What a gift we are being given! I shouldn't whine about my place in the world. I know there are many out there right now who are not in the workforce and are very frustrated.  Please understand; I pray for you too!  

Praying for peace. In whatever format it can come in to our practice at work.   

Thank you for the venting session. 

1 comment: